Thursday, July 14, 2011

Taste Test! Cracker Snacker!

While any one going gluten free should be weary of letting those pesky 'curiousity calories' getting out of control and try to stick to naturally gluten free foods most of the time, it is still helpful to know where to get substitutes for gluten laden foods when you are in a pinch. So, every once in a while you need a taste test.





Mom striking a pose with our taste test  materials
I know I have already mentioned by enjoyment of Nut Thin crackers, but while on vacation Mom and I decided to taste a few different brands, to decide once a for all while brand was the best.


We tried three brands. Here are our favorites in order of most to least favorite.


1) Blue Diamond Nut Thins


  
These crackers are made from rice flour and nuts and baked without oil. These crackers have a very uniform consistency. They clock in calorically at about 130 calories for 16 crackers--a pretty substancial serving, crispy, crunchy, slightly salty and satisfying. And with all the flavors to sample  (BBQ, Smokehouse, Sea Salt, Hazelnut, Pecan, Cheddar Cheese, and Country Ranch) you will not get bored. I have not yet tasted a flavor I didn't like (I've tried pecan, cheddar cheese, smokehouse, and sea salt), although I think the sea salt is my favorite because of the subtle flavor. These crackers are the perfect about of crunchy and salty to cure that cracker craving. Plus, unlike the other crackers we tried these were so good we have on occasion opened up a box of these just to snack on--whereas with the other two contenders you really probably need to have a piece of cheese, avacado, veggie, or dip to accompany them.


2.) Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers
















These crackers are made with California brown rice and a blend of 4 seeds. They have a more wafer like consistency than the thin crisp Nut thins. If my beloved Nut Thins were not around I would have no problem snacking on these. We tried the original and garlic, and although I love garlic the garlic flavor was REALLY potent so I would advise going with the original (unless everyone eats one--and then you can all have rank breath togeher).  

3) Mary's Gone Crackers
These crackers are made of brown rice, flax, quinoa, and sesame seeds, they are very thin, baked crackers with a good crunch and have a fairly subtle flavor so that they can be used with a variety of toppings. I think I may have pumped these up in my mind (because I have read so many places how delicious they were supposed to be) and that might be why I wasn't bowled over with these. They have a nutty flavor and a good crisp but they just didn't wow me. I'm not even sure what I mean by that, all I can say is that while they tasted fine I don't think these would be something that I would have craving for (like fresh peaches, or seafood in the summer time, or a Bollos gluten free oat fudge bar).

Have you tried any of these? What were your thoughts? What are your favorite cracker accompaniments for summer time appetizers?

Happy Snacking.

No comments:

Post a Comment