Tuesday, July 12, 2011

If you fail to plan, you plan to fail

Sticking to a healthy diet takes work, and planning, and anyone who tells you different is a big 'ole liar. It is the days that we are pressed for time, didn't plan out our meals, or do our grocery shopping for the week that presents us with the greatest dietary challenges and sets us up for pitfalls. 


When we are hungry, pressed for time, and didn't plan ahead are the times when we go through a drive through, or go out to dinner and spend more money than we need to and probably ingest more calories, fat, and salt than we would have had we just cooked at home. 



Clearly you don't have time for this during the work week!

Not much 'real' about these real housewive's lives

I'm not saying things always work out perfectly at my house, but I thought I would share my strategy for keeping my fridge stocked with healthy foods, and being ready to prepare healthy meals during the week.  


On Sunday afternoon each week, I take about thirty minutes and make my meal plan and grocery list for the week. I look through cookbooks, magazines, or online and outline which meals we will have each night. Then I make a grocery list of the items needed to make the meals and head to the store. The prearranged and organized list keeps me on track and also keeps me from buying junk food, or impulse buys (staying away from both saves money and tempting junk out of my house).


During my planning time I try to account for night's when I either won't have time to cook or won't want to (i.e. Friday will be leftover night or we will plan to go out somewhere maybe). I also account for portioning out meals for lunches, when I can pack my leftovers the night before I am guarenteed savings on calories and cash I would have used when my stomach starts growling around noon.


To get you started here is what we will be eating at my house this week: 


Monday: Blackened Tuna Steaks w. steamed broccoli and a green salad w. ginger dressing


Blackened Tuna Steaks Recipe
(Recipe modified from chefpaul.com)




This seasoning is quite tasty
And bonus has this funny little pic on it
Heat a large skillet over very high heat until it is extremely hot (about 600°F).
Spread a little of the butter or oil on each side of the filets. 
Sprinkle one side with ¾ teaspoon of the Magic Seasoning Blend and place the filet in the heated skillet seasoned side down. 
Sprinkle the top side with ¾ teaspoon of the Magic Seasoning Blend. 
Cook, turning frequently until the fish starts to flake, about 4 minutes. 
Repeat with remaining filets. 
Serve each filet while piping hot. 


Tuesday: Shrimp Stuffed Avacados and green salad


Stuffed Shrimp Avacados Recipe
(From the Paleo Diet Book)
I haven't made it yet, but doesn't this pic make it look scrumptious?!

4 large avocados, peeled and halved, seeds removed
1.5 cups shrimp, cooked and washed
1 T lemon juice
1 T onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 T paprika

Set avocados on serving plate with cut side facing up. Combine shrimp, lemon juice, onion powder, and pepper in medium-sized mixing bowl. Spoon shrimp mixture onto each avocado, covering generously. Sprinkle top of each stuffed avocado with paprika before serving. Serves four.


Wednesday: Grilled Chicken w. baked brussel sprouts and quinoa


For this night's dinner we will use the same marinade as I used on the 4th of July kabobs, and make the baked brussel sprouts from that post as well. I know I will not be home until late that evening so Darren can quickly and easily make a nutrious dinner.

Thursday: Stir fry beef and veggies w. brown rice

Stir fry beef & veggies recipe

Beef Stir-fry with Snow Peas and Green Onions
Sauce
1/4 cup wheat-free tamari
2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1 Tbsp. rice wine vinegar
1 Tbsp. sesame seeds
1 Tbsp. grated ginger
3 garlic cloves, minced
Stir-Fry
2 lbs. beef or bison steak
kosher salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
2 Tbsp. coconut oil (divided), or cooking fat of choice
1 large or 2 small carrots, cut into matchsticks
8 oz. mushrooms, sliced
a couple handfuls snow peas, ends trimmed
2 bunches green onions, white and light green parts cut into 1-inch sections
1) Sprinkle both sides of steaks with S&P and set aside.
2) Stir sauce ingredients together, set aside.
3) In large wok or skillet over medium-high heat, melt 1 Tbsp. coconut oil. Add steaks and cook until well-browned, about 4 minutes. Flip over, cook for another 4 minutes and remove steaks to a cutting board. Slice into bite-size strips.
4) Add remaining 1 Tbsp. oil to wok. Add carrots, cook for 2 minutes. Add mushrooms, cook until no dry spots remain on them, about 3 minutes. Add snow peas and green onions, cooking for 2 minutes more. Add sauce, and cook for another minute. Add steak pieces, along with any accumulated juices, to wok. Cook for one more minute to warm steak, then serve.
Friday: Green Salad topped w. fresh peaches, bbq chicken, pecans, and balsamic vinegarette

It's Friday, go for something quick and easy. Just grill up some bbq chicken compile with all the other salad components, kick your heels up and eat on the back porch.

So there you have it. The MacLean's meals for the week. What's on your menu this week? I'd love some suggestions for next week!


No comments:

Post a Comment