Friday, July 22, 2011

Angry Bears & Hippie Chocolate Chip Cookies

The other day I confessed to you that I am a sugar fiend. And then I pledged to cut out sugar for one month to break this nasty dietary vice. It's been HARD. In fact, I actually get angry when I start to crave sugar and know that I shouldn't have it. Super grumpy...like this...




Yes, indeed. My sugar cravings have turned me into an angry bear. Hopefully, this will pass.

However, just because I am on a mission to cut out sugar, doesn't mean my dear husband has to join in my masochistic endevour. In fact, he informed me that although he LOVES that I am feeling better since going gluten free he misses the baking I used to do more frequently. Specifically, he misses my hippy dippy chocolate chip cookies (he, of course, refuses to call them by this name because he thinks it's silly, YEA of course it is, and it makes me happy!).

He also must know that flattery will get him what he wants because after mentioned his cookieless life, I went to the store to get the ingredients to make his favorite cookies. While the original recipe is not gluten free, I have figured out a way to make them safe for those who are sensitive or allergic to gluten as well.

So if you, like Darren, are having a chocolate craving but don't want to have a completely unhealthy indulgence try my recipe for Hippy Dippy Chocolate Chip Cookies below. The oats, flax seed, bee pollen, and nuts make these a great choice when you want something sweet but not completely nutritionally devoid.

These are my easy, never fail, always complimented cookies. Enjoy!

Jamie’s Hippy Dippy Chocolate Chip Cookies

This guy would REALLY love my cookies. I'm sure of it.
Ingredients

1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1-1/4 cups flour (if you are sensitive to wheat or gluten use Bob’s GF All Purpose Baking Flour if you aren’t I’d go with King Arthur Whole Wheat White Flour)
1/2 teaspoon aluminum free baking soda
2 Tbsp. Bee pollen
2 Tbsp. Ground Flax Seed
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar (you can reduce this by as much as half and there really isn’t much of a taste difference)
2 sticks butter or margarine
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
2-1/2 cups quick or old-fashioned gluten free oats, uncooked
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup chopped walnuts (optional)

*Another nutrient boost for these cookies (if you are NOT allergic to/intolerant to gluten) is to add a few tablespoons of wheat germ with your dry ingredients.

Directions
In a small bowl, combine flour, baking soda, flax seed, bee pollen, and salt; mix well. In a large bowl, beat together sugar and butter until light and fluffy. Blend in eggs and vanilla. Add flour mixture; mix well. Stir in oats, than add chocolate chips and walnuts.  Drop dough by rounded tablespoonfuls onto greased cookie sheets. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes at 350 degrees. Cool on rack. Enjoy!!


D's grubby little hands going for a cookie treat!
  

No comments:

Post a Comment