Thursday, July 28, 2011

Millions of Peaches...

Yes. The title of this post is ripped off from a silly little song about peaches circa 1996....

Millions of peaches, peaches for me.
Millions of peaches, peaches for free....



If I had my little way I'd eat peaches everyday
Sun soakin bulges in the shade...



I poked my finger down inside makin' a little room for a ant to hide
Nature's candy in my hand or can or a pie...





I swear I haven't heard or even thought of that song for the last 15 years but for some reason when I started peeling peaches for a peach cobbler last night it STUCK in my head.

Now that I have it out of my system (well almost), I can move on to a lovely recipe for peach cobbler that can be made gluten full or gluten free....

To make it better, it's my Mom's recipe.

So it tastes like home to me.

It smells like summer time on Delaware Avenue.

Conjures up memories of coming home from playing in the pool, dirty barefeet, my hair wet and tangled, swimsuit soaking wet, soggy towel under my arm..

Then reaching for the screeen door (thinking if I just run up the stairs fast enough my dirty wet feet won't leave marks on the floor (what a little stupid kid I was).....

and BAM...

The smell hits you...

Peach cobbler for dessert tonight!

Kenda’s Fruit Cobbler*(slightly modified by yours truly)

Fruit Mixture:
  • Three cups of fruit 
  • 2/3 cup of sugar
  • 2 tablespoons of flour
  • ½ teaspoon of cinnamon
  • * Mix these four ingredients together and put in a greased (Pam spray) casserole/13x9 pan/ dish.
2 tablespoons of butter (put butter on fruit before putting on topping, in a dot pattern)

Topping:
  • One cup of flour (use Bob's Red Mill GF All Purpose Flour)
  • 2 tablespoons of sugar
  • 1 ½ teaspoons of baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon of salt
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil I used 1/3 c. applesauce to cut the calories and fat
  • 3 tablespoons of milk
  • Optional: 1-2 tablespoons ground flax seed, 1-2 tablespoons bee pollen.
Directions:
  • Preheat oven 325 degrees fahrenheit
  • mix topping ingredients and put on top the fruit mixture
  • Bake at 325 degrees oven for 45 minutes
Notes:
  • For further calorie reduction (without sacrificing taste) double the fruit mixture while keeping the sugar amount the same.
  • You can also use splenda in lieu of sugar.
  • If you double the fruit make sure to put a little extra flour in the mix so it doesn't get watery.
  • Also for a nutrient boost you can add ground flax seed and bee pollen in with your topping mixture. There is no change in the taste but it gives you a little bit of something healthy in a splurge-like dessert. (But don't delude yourself, there are definately plenty of calories in this dish-but very tasty and perfect if enjoyed in moderation).
  •   Delicious served with vanilla ice cream.



 Enjoy!!


No comments:

Post a Comment