Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Giving Thanks for Gluten Free

I love the holidays.

I love seeing family (even if it means running around like a crazy person to see as many people as possible) and being home.

And of course, I love food.

But I won't let my gluten free eating go by the wayside just because of the holidays--it's just not necessary (and it can make you ill if you are allergic or intolerant to gluten).

I'm not worried though! It's easy to enjoy all of the flavors of the season without gluteny or gluttony...

I will be posting a few Thanksgiving recipes in the next week. But first, I'll start with my favorite....green beans!

You might find it odd that green beans are my favorite, but I've always been this way. They are tasty, high fiber, low calorie, and filling.

So start with some fresh, crisp, green beans..


And add..pecans


dried cranberries


and some feta cheese (or goat cheese) into the mix



Toss with some homemade citrus vinaigrette and you have a recipe for a delightful, light, and delicious Thanksgiving side dish...

Take this green bean salad to your holiday potluck or making it as a side dish for Thanksgiving dinner.

Ingredients:
·         1 lb fresh green beans, blanched (careful: don't overcook them!)
·         4.25 oz feta cheese, crumbled
·         1/3 cup (heaping) dried cranberries
·         4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
·         2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
·         2 Tbsp. OJ
·         Salt and Pepper, to taste
·         1/3 cup crushed pecans
Instructions:
·         Make vinaigrette dressing (vinegar, OJ, and Olive oil) in a shaker.
·         Mix cooked beans, cheese, cranberries, and nuts together.
·         Toss with vinaigrette.
·         Refrigerate for an hour (preferable but not mandatory).
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment